Sunday, September 9, 2007

Demolishing the Engine Compartment






Today was the first fall weekend in Minnesota. Deep blue sky, light north wind, absolutely perfect (for working inside an engine hold grinding fiberglass)! I only worked for about 4 hours today, but that was enough. I was itchy, fiberglass dust covered, and sweaty even with a cool temperature of only 64 degrees.

I got a lot done in a limited time. Most of the inner layer of fiberglass is cut out of the engine room, and a lot of rot is out. There's still a lot of rotten wood, rotten plywood, and waterlogged stinky foam to dig out, though. Any volunteers?

Above is a "before" picture (before today's progress, that is, not a true before, before picture). She didn't look like this when we bought her.

Below it is a shot where you can see what I got done today. I'll admit, you need to look kind of hard to see the difference. It's the little piece at the bottom, the bulkhead between the cabin and the engine compartment. The piece of plywood at the bottom has been cut out, and better, stronger, rot-free wood and fiberglass will replace the old rot infested mess.


I've also added a photo of the cartload of rotten fiberglass, wood, and foam that I pulled out today and threw into the dumpster. That's it for today.




1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have a 1974 Sea camper house boat can you get new windows front window s